NHS boards taking patient experience seriously
Top five tips to board members of NHS Trusts who want to be sure that their organisation is taking patient experience seriously:
1. Board level monthly reports of patient experience at level of ward, clinic and department – including detailed comparative metrics. Where is excellence in your organisation?
2. Clear specific, measurable, realistic, timed objectives for continuous improvement in patient experience at ward or department level across the organisation.
3. Understand the connection between great patient experience, excellent clinical outcomes, cost-effectiveness and staff performance.
4. Sustained engagement with all front-line staff – experience matters. Display last month’s scores in the canteen and send them to staff every week (or daily if you really mean business – it improves staff morale!)
5. Transparency and sharing patient experience data. Make sure all the information (good and bad) is shared with your public and local media – put it on the very front of your website.